Welcome to the Galván Laboratory for Developmental Neuroscience at UCLA! Our lab studies brain development in children, adolescents and adults using behavioral and neuroimaging techniques. Our goal is to understand how behavioral changes related to decision-making, risk-taking and emotion influence, and are influenced by, neurobiological development.
Participation in research studies!
Are you interested in learning more about research? We are constantly seeking participants for our research studies. For those who are interested, click on the Participate link.
Recent Lab News
- Congratulations to Sarah Tashjian for receiving the Charles E. and Sue K. Young Graduate Student Fellowship Award!
- A new manuscript on the relation between physical home environment and prefrontal cortical thickness is in press at Developmental Science! [Uy JP, Goldenberg D, Tashjian SM, Galván A (in press). Physical home environment is associated with prefrontal cortical thickness in adolescents. Developmental Science]
- The Galván Lab will be at SRCD 2019. Come by our posters to say hello! (Jessica Uy on Friday, 3/22 from 2:30-3:45pm, Rachel Storer on Saturday, 3/23 from 9:45-11:00am, Sarah Tashjian on Saturday, 3/23 from 2:30-3:45pm, and Jordan Mullins on Saturday, 3/23 from 4:15-5:30pm]. Dr. Galván will also be moderating a discussion on Saturday, 3/23 from 12:45-1:15pm for a symposium called: “Beyond Sex, Drugs and Rock n’ Roll: The Adaptive Functions of Adolescent Risk Taking”
- Congratulations to Dr. Galván for receiving the Troland Award from the National Academy of Sciences! Link
- Congratulations to Natalia Orendain on her article in The Conversation! Link
- Congratulations to Amanda and Tanya for receiving a 2019 Consortium Seed Grant!
- Please check out Dr. Galvan’s article on sleep in The Washington Post. Link.
- Congratulations to Jessica Uy for receiving the 2018 APA Dissertation Research Award!
- Congratulations to Sarah Tashjian for receiving the Neuroscience Graduate Travel Award to attend the annual Society for Neuroscience Conference from the UCLA Brain Research Institute / Semel Institute!
- Congratulation to Sarah Tashjian for receiving the American Psychological Association Student Travel Award to attend the annual American Psychological Association Conference!
- Congratulation to Sarah Tashjian for being selected to attend the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR) Winter School on the Neuroscience of Consciousness!
- Congratulations to Natalia Orendain for receiving the Brain Research Institute’s Graduate Research Grant!
- Please check out Dr. Galvan’s article on sleep in The Conversation. Link.
- Congratulations to Dr. Galvan for being selected as a new member of the Mindset Scholars. Link.
- Congratulations to Dr. Galvan for being named as a Fellow for the Association for Psychology Science!
- Congratulations to Dr. Galvan for receiving a Fulbright Award!
- Welcome to Leoneh Ohanian and Selam Mulugeta! We are excited to welcome Leoneh and Selam as new research assistants in the laboratory.
- Good luck, Sam! Sam has completed her postdoctoral training. We wish her well in her new adventures in New Jersey!
- Congratulations to Sarah Tashjian and Adriana Galván on a new grant from the Russell Sage Foundation!
- Congratulations to Amanda Baker on receiving a UCLA Summer Research Mentorship Fellowship!
- Congratulations to Amanda Baker on receiving a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship!
- Congratulations to Adriana Galván on her promotion to Full Professor!
- Sarah Tashjian won the APA Early Graduate Student Researcher Award!
- Sarah Tashjian’s Election Study appeared in the LA Times! Link
- Postdoc Sam DePasque received a seed grant from the UC Consortium: “Dopaminergic mechanisms underlying effort-based decision making during adolescence.”
- PhD Student Jessica Uy received a seed grant from the UC Consortium: “Prosocial Behavior and Inflammation During Adolescence”
- Dr. Adriana Galván (in collaboration with Dr. Tara Peris) received an R01 grant from the National Institute of Mental Health: “Trajectories of Brain Maturation among Youth at Risk for Anxiety”
- Dr. Adriana Galván (in collaboration with Dr. Andrew Fuligni and Dr. Naomi Eisenberger) received a grant from the National Science Foundation: “Giving to others and neural development during adolescence”
- Welcome to Kayla Oakley and Rachel Storer to the Galván Lab!
- Welcome to Amanda Baker to the Galván Lab!
- Sam DePasque received an NSF postdoctoral fellowship!
- Kaitlyn Breiner defended her dissertation!
- Sarah Tashjian received a Graduate Research Mentorship award from UCLA Graduate Division!
- Jessica Phuong received a Graduate Research Mentorship award from UCLA Graduate Division!
- Jessica Phuong was awarded the Dr. Ursula Mandel Fellowship from UCLA Graduate Division!
- Sarah Tashjian received an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship!